Saturday, November 18, 2023

Sensei’s final words…

https://www.seikyoonline.com/article/536FB5C78C01003E962E003BB15205BF

This is the final set of poems by sensei


______
"As the photo sessions were coming to a close, a handsome, tanned youth exclaimed with passion in his voice: "Sensei! Thank you! We young men's division members are determined to live up to your expectations and fight and win!"
Shin'ichi smiled warmly and replied in earnest: "That's right. When the mentor cannot take action out in front, it's the job of the disciples to stand up and do so in the mentor's stead. You're not my true disciples if you can't rouse energy or courage because you can't meet me in person. Please create an unprecedented groundswell of progress for kosen-rufu with bold efforts surpassing your mentor.
"It is precisely for a time such as this that I have guided and encouraged you, giving my all to fostering you.
"Now is the time for you to proudly declare, 'Leave it to us! Watch our struggle!' and go out to encourage and brighten the hearts of the members on my behalf. That is the true spirit of mentor and disciple. Each of you is Shin'ichi Yamamoto! I didn't raise you to be weak or fainthearted young people who cannot show their real strength at a crucial moment. Now is the time for you to take responsibility for the Soka Gakkai in your own communities. Nothing would be more disappointing than if, at such an important time, you were to give in to feelings of sadness and not be able to fully exert yourself.
"Those are my feelings, a cry from my heart. I'm counting on you!"
The eyes of the young people present sparkled with burning determination. Some tightened their jaws, and others balled their fists in firm resolve.

Addressing a gathering of 10,000 youth division members in October 1954, Josei Toda had said: "I hope you will rise bravely to meet the many challenges that lie ahead."
Shin'ichi felt exactly the same.

— _NHR v30c2 Awaiting the Time 20_

Sent from my iPhone