Thursday, April 23, 2015

Persevere to see your benefit!

"Nevertheless, even though you chant and believe in Myoho-renge-kyo, if you think the Law is outside yourself, you are embracing not the Mystic Law but an inferior teaching."

- On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime

By Carlos Vigoa, USA:

Last year, my financial struggles seemed so endless that I began to view them as this huge wall, one that seemed bigger than my capacity to scale it. I was unemployed at the time, and while I was chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and taking action, my attitude was to wait for someone (or something) to rescue me.

I increased the amount I chanted each day, yet I started to doubt the power of the Gohonzon when I didn't see immediate results. It was through studying this passage from Nichiren's writings over and over again that I realized I could no longer sit and wait for the Gohonzon to answer my prayers.

I realized that I had to take full responsibility for my problems and my victories. I realized that any change in my environment would begin with a revolution in my own heart.

I started to chant with a renewed determination to win over my problems.

SGI President Ikeda writes: "When you wage a struggle, you might win or you might lose. But regardless of the short-term outcome, the very fact of your continuing to struggle is proof of your victory as a human being. A strong spirit, strong faith and strong prayer--developing these is victory and the world of Buddhahood" (For Today and Tomorrow, p. 50).

Last year, I was able to deepen my faith and clearly see the result of a determined prayer. I was hired for two jobs! At the first job, my employers said they wished they had found me earlier. The second is part-time, but I get full-time wages.

Furthermore, my inner revolution brought about a change in my relationships with my mother, family and others. In the end, this was, by far, my greatest benefit.

[Courtesy of World Tribune, SGI-USA, March 2008] 😉😘


Sent from my iPhone