Thursday, November 21, 2013

Swati is now studying in SUJ...connect to her at FB

Swati Raj
Swati Raj
I want to share my heart...(It's long but I hope you shall have the patience to read. Thanks)
For those who often question the role of Ikeda sensei as a mentor and think that members try to equate him to some kind supernatural figure or god need to read this.
Well, we don't do anything like this. At least I don't. He is my greatest teacher and will always be. As a non-Japanese I did struggle to imagine a foreigner being my mentor but his words, encouragements and his explanation of the writings of the Daishonin helped me to form deeper connection with Buddhism. I have so much gratitude for Ikeda sensei. Mentor and disciple are on same pedestal walking together towards a common purpose. The mentor encourages the disciple constantly and disciple through his/her own efforts surpasses the mentor. Nothing gives more joy to the mentor to see that his own disciple surpassed him. Blue(disciple) when repeatedly dyed in Indigo (mentor) gets deeper (surpasses the mentor) than Indigo plant itself. There is a Mentor-Disciple tower at Soka University, Japan (this is where I study). The tower has two extensions. The taller extension indicates disciple and the shorter indicates mentor. This clearly means that in this lifetime, through constant efforts, disciple WILL surpass the mentor. Ikeda sensei's presence in no way has taken me away from the Gohonzon or has made me think of Ikeda sensei being equal to the Daishonin. 
There is no comparison to be done. People who doubt and complain, compare the two and create doubts in the minds of others. Lets not forget that even Daishonin was no god. I have not for a moment deviated from feeling of appreciation towards the Daishonin who practiced the correct teaching. I remember my friend sharing an episode that happened in Brazil when President Ikeda visited Brazil (I do not have a source to this information but I trust this because he is an old close friend from Brazil). After the Gongyo and daimoku session, President Ikeda got up to share guidance. He realized that everyone was looking at him with veneration. Ikeda sensei immediately grasped their feelings and turned to the Gohonzon and said towards looking at the Gohonzon that this [Gohonzon] is and should be the center; not me. When my friend shared this episode I was so amazed to see that Ikeda sensei is so filled with wisdom. After coming to Japan, I realized how human sensei is!! We kinda mystify him sometimes, I agree. But that's not what sensei wants. Coming to Soka University, helped me to see Ikeda sensei in a different light: The founder of Soka University. I realized that how connected he is with the students irrespective of their faiths. There are exchange students from 47 countries and most of them do not even know what Soka Gakkai is. He organizes dinners and lunches; sends gifts, messages and basically wishes and prays for our growth. Now tell me which founder of the University in the entire world is so humble to be able to send food and drinks when students are rehearsing for a cultural practice. Don't you think this is so small for a person of international fame to do? Of course not! he does because he loves education, he loves students and he cares.There are professors here who do not practice Buddhism and are hard core Catholics but have so much respect for Ikeda sensei.
 One human being has earned so much respect..why? Because he has given his all to the development of peace. culture, and education. I want to pen down my thoughts more, but I will stop here and give you some time to think and reflect. 
If you have any question, please feel to ask me. Whether you leave SGI or stay, for Ikeda sensei you will always be in his prayers and I can vouch on my life and say this.
Thank you for reading!

-- Swati Raj
Photo

Why do Soka Gakkai members regard Dr Daisaku Ikeda as their mentor? Many SGI ...See More