Friday, April 6, 2012

Love my life

A SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALL
CAREER & LIFE AFTER IT  
 Vince Phason spoke about his experience at the 11th Cherry
Blossom General Meeting, Denver, July 1, 2006.

Looking back, I can see the strong faith of my mother, Elnora, always supporting
me and urging me to win. She began practicing Nichiren Buddhism in Denver in
the late '60s. I noticed a change in her after she began chanting
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. She even looked different. So, I started chanting, too.

During my high school years, I excelled in every sport I tried. I won all-star
status in basketball and football, and I led my high school track team to the
state championship in 1971.

I was recruited to play football at the University of Arizona. I also attended
SGI-USA activities and participated with the youth division Brass Band, but I
only chanted when I thought I needed to, like before a game or a test.

During my senior year in college, I had a lot of things going for me, including
a great football career. The National Football League draft was three or four
months away, and I had high hopes. Then I hit an unexpected crisis.

Through a series of misunderstandings, I was arrested for robbery. It looked
like I was headed for prison, no matter what I said or did. My football career,
I thought, is going down the drain.

The only thing I could do was chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. I received the
Gohonzon and proceeded to chant with all my heart. I want to live a life of
value, I thought. I want to contribute something meaningful. Everything took
off from there. Although I eventually served 45 days in jail, that chapter of
my life was over and I never looked back. My Buddhist practice was rock-solid
from then on. I was drafted by the NFL and, in 1974, I joined the San Diego
Chargers.

My football career eventually took me to Canada and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
of the CFL, back to NFL and the Green Bay Packers, and finally the CFL'd
Montreal Allouettes. In each location, I always followed my mother's example -
chanting and telling others about the greatness of Buddhism. My career soared.
I made the CFL's All-Star team in 1982, and led the CFl in kick-off returns in
1978 and again in 1986. In 15 years in football, I never missed a game.

I received many awards as a football player, but the highlight
of my career was receiving the Soka Sports award from SGI President Ikeda. For
me, Daisaku Ikeda is the greatest head coach of all time. When I go out the
door every day, I try to be like my head coach and mentor. I was a highly
visible football star, so it was devastating when I was released from the
Allouettes in 1987. That's when I came home to Denver and went to a black hole
of depression. Once again, my mother came to my rescue, urging me to chant
through my problems. I realized that my life was worth more than allowing
myself to wallow in self-pity. I enrolled in school to learn to be a counselor
and found a coaching job. I coached at high schools all around Denver, and I
loved it.


But my life was about to change once again. Early on Nov 4, 1998, a
car accident left me with a broken neck, paralyzing me from the chest down. I
was barely alive when I came into the emergency room. Over the next weeks and
months, I maintained a strong front during the day, doing what I needed to do
to recover and reaching out to encourage others. But at night I chanted
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and cried.

I went from 205 to 129 pounds, from a Charles Atlas body to nearly nothing. In
the first surgery, doctors implanted a metal halo, which tilted my head
permanently at an odd angle. I never looked in the mirror. I couldn't even look
at my arms, which were just sticks. I was in such pain.

I wondered: Why did I live? What is my purpose in life? From being in control,
I now had no control over my body.

Every day, from the moment I opened my eyes, I chanted either aloud or in my
mind. I felt embraced by the chanting of my mother and fellow members. In
addition, President Ikeda's guidance to never give up echoed in my mind. For
example, he says:"Those who live their lives to the fullest, unperturbed
by the noisy clamor around them, are victors in life. Never give up. If you
persevere in your efforts, someone will definitely support and protect you.
Never lose hope" (Discussions on Youth, Vol 1, p.69)

I was released from the hospital in June - seven months after the accident -
and I was back to coaching on the football field by August

My sense of who I am had always been determined by my physical body. Now I
thought about my Buddha nature. I realized that my body does not confine my
spirt or my determination, nor does it define my self-worth. With my Buddhist
practice, I have come to realize I am Vince Phason, Bodhisattva of the Earth.
My life is significant, noble and respectworthy, and I am resolved to bring
hope, courage and confidence to others.

Yes, my life is a struggle, but every day I share my experience and Nichiren
Buddhism with people from diverse backgrounds. In a criminal justice class
recently, the students stood and applauded me. Me! Not the football player, but
Vince Phason demonstrating victory in life. It is the greatest applause I have
ever received.

Last April, I was invited to speak to the football team at my alma mater, the University
of Arizona. I talked to the players about courage and fighting spirit, creating
value no matter what.

There will be dark times, but we must never give up. We can always win even
when we think we have lost.

President Ikeda writes: "There is a saying, 'A small heart gets used to
misery and becomes docile, while a great heart towers above misfortune.' True
happiness is not the absence of suffering. You cannot have day after day of
clear skies. True happiness lies in building a self that stands dignified and
indomitable like a great palace - on all days, even when it is raining, snowing
or stormy" (Learning from the Gosho, p.241).

I am living proof of these words. Today, I can honestly say I am an indomitable
and happy man. When I speak to teenagers, I emphasize the people we all have,
right now, to make causes for the kind of futures we want. I tell me,
"Right now, love life." I know I do.

Vince Phason, Denver, July 21, 2006, p.
4-5, World Tribune

  




--
Regards,

Mr Chang C.L.

_________________
http://MrChang.com